When it comes to healing, science and spiritual belief agree. What you believe and how you view your place in this world impact your health in both positive and negative ways. You have a big role in healing yourself and in supporting your friends or family with serious illness. Here are some ideas to shift you out of “victim mode” so you can participate fully in the healing process.
Succumbing to victim mode robs you of personal value in two ways:
- You may not recognize the underlying lesson, or you may overlook the possibility that this event serves a greater purpose in your life.
- You give up your immense personal power to heal yourself. You rely upon pills, surgeries and the opinions of doctors.
A MORE POWERFUL WAY TO RESPOND is to connect with your inner healing power. This power comes from the personal belief that you are healing even now. Rather than being a victim of circumstance, you accept the role of co-creator. You recognize that your beliefs, feelings and responses have a profound impact upon your health.
Every healing is individual, but there are common elements:
- The patient has a profound belief that they are already healed. This goes beyond words. It is a feeling, visualization, full body awareness that everything is already perfect.
- Gratitude is central to their thoughts. Simple appreciation for beauty, people, nature and all of life expands their thoughts far beyond themselves.
- They experience connection to a higher power that works within them. Many call it prayer. Yet they never think of prayer as a series of words or incantations. Their prayer is an unspoken feeling of unity with higher power, inner wisdom and God. It can feel like a good vibration.
- Laughter and fun help create the positive energy.
HEALING HAPPENS INSIDE FIRST. Experienced doctors are the first to agree that healing begins with positive expectation of success. While medicine may assist healing, it is the body that heals itself. Maintaining a positive energy can be the most important aspect to health.
WHEN YOU ARE CLOSE TO SOMEONE WHO NEEDS HEALING it is important that you participate in creating a healing environment. Your thoughts, attitudes, words and feelings have an impact. Envision your friend as already healed. Imagine the energy and light of love and healing surrounding him. Feel the vibration of healing move through you and into her. The more you use your imagination to activate all of your senses, the more powerful this can be. A nice side effect is that it can create healing within you at the same time.
You might consider:
- Sharing especially tasty meals (eliminate sugar, sodas, fatty foods and harmful substances) Have fun finding the biggest strawberry or taking time to marinate a special filet.
- Go outside and spend time in nature. No matter where you live, you can share beauty and lessons from nature. Breathe deeply and appreciate the life force flowing through you.
- Laugh lots. Think about fun times you have spent together. Watch funny movies. Notice how ridiculous it is when people are serious about everything.
- Avoid the sympathy cards and any focus on the problem. Instead be part of the solution, which is life giving.
BE WILLING TO LISTEN to whatever your friend is feeling in the moment. If times of anger or sadness come up, allow them to express themselves and encourage them to fully move the energy through them. Suppressed emotion is inauthentic. Let them know they don’t need to put on a happy face because you can’t stand the truth. Be real. If your friend is angry, you might suggest that you both holler and howl like wolves. Be angry with them until it is so ridiculous that you can laugh about it.
A general but basic truth is that you can help your friend keep their energy moving. Keep doing new things, living fully and supporting the vision of their full health and vitality.
YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Those who have friends and community heal much faster than those who isolate themselves. Call, visit, and be there for those you care about. Your attitude and support is vital. Keep up the good vibration!